AWARENESS-THE BEGINNING OF CHANGE
Hello And Welcome My Friend,
In today’s article, we will begin by looking at some examples of the sources and processes that lead to our feelings of unhappiness.
As the above article implies, more often than not, we are totally unaware of our habitual reactions, to the challenges and situations that life deals us. See if you can relate to any, some or all of the following examples.
- Situations or challenges arise to which we feel powerless.
- Our habitual negative thinking kicks in. Our thoughts are propelled to future scenarios and are exaggerated into uncontrollable negative situations.
- We have belief systems, already instilled in us, that believe the best way to cope with these challenges, is by being or feeling negative, that this will somehow solve the issues.
- We become powerless, through reaffirming things that have happened in the past.
- We are paralysed in the present moment and are anxious and fearful of what the future will bring.
- Our emotions attack us physically, and we stop eating and find it difficult to sleep.
- We become so caught up in the current challenges, we then look for past situations that compound our negative emotions.
- We become overwhelmed and isolate, watching tv, sleeping all day, anything that will distract us from taking action.
- We feel ashamed that we are unable to deal with the situation, pondering on, ‘What’s wrong with me’?
- We beat ourselves up and feel guilty for not doing the things we know need to be done.
- We resort to taking drugs or alcohol to distract and alleviate the pain.
- We deny ourselves any contact with friends or family, denying ourselves their help and/or compassion, that totally isolates us and our situation.
The above mentioned are some examples of my own personal experience and are not original by any means. There are many reasons why we choose to react to things the way we do.
If you related to any of the examples above, you will understand there is a process that we all have when it comes to dealing with life’s many tests.
I hope you would like to share with both me and my readers any thoughts and opinions you may have from either your own experience or the ones you love and care for.